Monday, February 20, 2012

My First Drive in the USA...

Hmm...I could finally collect some courage to drive a car in the US. Yesterday I took a driving lesson, and I tell you the trainer was a nut...He didn’t teach much...was actually losing confidence. Honestly last evening I had actually decided to take few more lessons before driving a car.
However, we had already rented a car to practice....so I had to convince myself....Finally, today morning I sat in the car, gathered myself and said “C’mon Joe you can do it...nothing would happen..trust yourself and go ahead...”
It was a Full size car.. “Honda Accord”...uff..itni badi gadi... how am I gonna take a judgement of this...was actually scared (don’t wanna disclose this, but yes I was scared)...
Honda Accord..
I started outside my apartment and took some smaller roads, drove onto small lanes of a nearby locality...some left-some right-taking a look at signals-maintaining the lane (this is so important in this country)..hearing some honks on sudden break or slow speed.....finally a half an hour round and back to my place.
By this time had a little confidence...so we decided to go to a mall 15 miles away..around 20 mins drive and the ride had bridges and expressways...
Speed....Sppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddd.......It thrills......!!!!
I could comfortably drive and reach there safely...
Then it was a practice time for me...for almost 2 hrs I was just roaming in the mall to find a parking space..taking small turns..keeping an eye on all cars coming out and getting into the parking lot...got so comfortable with turns...and then came the twist!!!
There was a car halted in between the lane..I wanted to overtake the car and go ahead..I saw a car coming from opposite side and a little space to go. The car waited for me...my friend said he a police be careful...and there... hahahaa....I lost control... a Cop...wrong lane..small space....sh*t...BANG!!!!!!Boom*&*^@@#!!!!
Yup...I banged into a Nissan Pathfinder in the parking....and there lit the colourful lights of Elizabeth Police cars....oh no...what have I done....!!!!!
So I take a little reverse and wait for Mr Cop to greet me...
He says “Are you alright miss?”
I say “Yes”
Another cop: “Do you need an ambulance miss?”
What? Ambulance....?? What happened to me?? A big node and I say “No, I am fine”
And then starts the formalities....Show your license, registration, insurance...he takes all....
He takes a look at the other car... “Man, its a bad dent”
After doing some investigations, he comes back to me.
He: “What happened to you? I waited there and gave space to you to go”
I: “I got scared seeing you”
He: “What? Every time you see a cop, you gonna get scared and hit a car :O?”
I: “No..but it is just that there was no space and I actually got scared” and we smi
led..what else I could do or say ;)
He: “Ok, I need to report this as an accident case”
What? Accident? You just met with an accident Miss Jyoti Agarwal!!OMG!! Its ok....nobody is hurt...its just the car..
I just prayed the owner doesn’t come back...it would have killed me or abused me badly ..donno what will he do....
I, my car, and other car..all were insured so that was fine....
The police went back to his car.....after a long wait..he comes back..
Cop: “Ok Miss...Technically I should make a ‘Careless driving’ case against this..” Looking at the dent on the opposite car... “You see its a damage....”. I node... “However, I would report this as you lost control of the car will getting out of parking...Ok?”
I with my broad smile.. “Thank you so much”
I made these scratches :(
Phew...I was a little relaxed hearing this...then some more details...and I am good to go...
Another few turns...and i am done... I asked friend to find a parking now and park it...finally we found a parking...
By the time we were out of the mall, it was already dark...Night driving...oh god..another test now....
Drove for few miles...missed few turns...heard some honks....and lost it...Stop it...let me relax...I will drive after some time..I took a break....and then after reaching my area.....I took the control of the steering again....with some more hiccups.... another 20 mins of driving...I reached home safe and sound....and ofcourse people on the street are also safe now.
Hmm..so driving isn’t easy...but yes it is not something impossible....
And c’mon it was such a big car...and that to on US roads...I mean its obviously a little scary for first timer ;)
Had a little dance at home to celebrate my driving J
All and all...enjoyed my first driving experience...!!!


     

5 comments:

  1. Good going Joe.... you made us proud :)
    now your name in USA will be present for long long time :)
    People say you gain confidence only after a dash...!
    To Public : Now Be careful.... Joe has flowing confidence to ride on roads :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Joe.
    You are a qualified driver now:)
    You proved it that you can do anything if you want to do it.
    Have a gr8 driving experience ahead !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to the crash you already started your driving history.....
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL... u r showing d scratch wid sucha a wide grin !! :P
    Khudki car ko mat thokna wen u'l have one... trust me, u wont have any smile dat time.. ;)
    Wonderful experience... keep the Vroooooom goin !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome joe !! missed your expressions after your first drive especially when the cop had come to wish you :P.....
    All the very best for your future endeavours :)
    Dear Americans,
    Wish you best of luck ;)

    ReplyDelete